Sunday, July 26, 2009

BP64 - 25 JULAI 2009 : SABTU


Went to TS hospital with Suami. I think the doctor could tell I was feeling tired & weak. I got 5 needles this time on my head & Suami said I was snoring away during the 20 minutes session.

After the session, we picked up Aiman to bring him to see Dr. Selva @ Bangsar. He was having fever... not surprising. Most likely, he got it from Amzar!

Dr Selve saw me for the first time since I got Bell's Palsy. Straight away he asked me, "Why is your face all puffed up?" So, told him what happened & he basically confirmed every bad thing prednisolone could do to a person... of course the effect differs depending on the person! He also told me that it would a few months to get my system back to normal.

When I went home I googled to find out what others got to say about the phase of getting off prednisolone. Some examples:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/kelly-building-a-crohns-disease-community/prednisone-and-withdrawal/
April 5, 2007: Prednisone and withdrawal


Every week, I am supposed to go down 1 mg of prednisone. I like this therapy because I am going down slowly which my body seems to handle better, but it is bad because every week I go through withdrawal. I have heard some people (and some doctors) say that you can’t feel withdrawal from just a 1 mg decrease but I know that is not true for me. After about three to four days is when I usually will start to feel it. It seems like I have a harder time processing information and making sense of things. I have learned that I need to be more organized during these times because I am not able to do my typical five tasks at the same time routine. I have to focus on only one task at a time and make sure I outline what steps I have to do to complete them. I also become easily irritated and many times pick fights with my husband (mostly because I become a little irrational and obsessed).

Sometimes I make it through the withdrawal without noticing, but most of the time I feel it. I have also been having a lot of pain in my arms and in my body around the time that I decrease my prednisone. My rheumatologist says that it is from the decrease in the prednisone.

I have learned to warn my husband when I am going down on the prednisone. He is supposed to keep this in mind when I am acting crazy or get irrationally mad at him for things that make no difference to anything. Before, when I was on a really high dosage, I was going down 5 mg at a time but not every week. I would go down, and then have to remain at that level for a few weeks until I could go down again. Now that I am going down every week, I feel that it is hard work to keep myself under control and calm because it is a few days out of every week that I have to work harder.

But I think that it is worth it because I am getting down off the steroids, and all I want is to get off of them. I know I say that in almost every blog, and it is a daily thought. One day, I will not take the blasted prednisone.

But, one day at a time!!
Or as they say in French – petit a petit (little by little –or gradually)


There are many more...
The important thing is at least I know what I'm going through is normal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment