Monday, June 8, 2009

BP6 - 28 MEI 2009 : KHAMIS DI UMMC

To be honest, I woke up feeling nervous about my appointment at UMMC today.
In a way, I was waiting for this particular appointment.
I was supposed to go to Neuro Lab at 5th floor to check extent of damage to my 7th (facial) cranial nerve.
In indirect way, it would give me some idea about my recovery.

The appointment was not until 11.30am, but a staff from the lab called to confirm my attendance & I told her that I would come early. After all I was just killing time at home without the focus to do anything much...
I was toying the idea of either calling Pak Mat Des (our honorary family taxi man) to send me or took up the standing offer of Pak Pozi & Kak Ijah, who were in VA.
Probably, to ease the anxiety in me, I chose to be sent by family members.
Tok Pa & Nek Mak actually had to send their Ayrah to the childcare, then settle some $ matter (on behalf of T.Mak) responding to an SOS & then on off to LCCT to pick up Pak Ripin from his Tual trip.

ProfKJG, himself, did the different tests. Half way into the test, he started humming to himself. I thought to myself, "This is not too good, girl...":

1) Blink Reflex - stimulating supraorbital left & right. In both cases my right orbital oculi didn't respond positively to "look at my hand up here... now here... look straight on, look down..."

2) Motor NCS - different branches of the nerve were checked. Needles were poked to different sites on the face. Adoi !

His official comments on my EMG report:
The right R1 & R2 waves were absent on bilateral stimulation. The facial nerve CMAP is smaller on the right. Needle electromyography showed no active axonal denervation but markedly reduced recruitment pattern. The study suggests a right facial nerve palsy. There is evidence of axonal continuity still.

He explained:

1) I have seen worse cases but your case doesn't look too good, either. There is a conduction block.

2) You have to continue with the established prednisolone treatment.

3) Going for acupuncture will not cause any more damage, but whether it would really help... we don't know. If you're going to do it, do it at a real place, e.g. Tung Shin Hospital.

Alhamdulillah, although not too good good, neither was it SO bad. The inflammation had already started when my ear was already sensitive to the handphone on Thursday night... the onset of the Bell's Palsy was on Saturday early morning; i.e. about 24hours + of the inflammation!

Certainly I would not fall under the category of those who would be back to normal about 2 weeks post-onset.

Finished the tests in time to catch a ride from Suami... But, first to UMMC foodcourt to get rojak & yong tou foo :)
Didn't tell Suami much about results of the tests.
Needed to mull over things...

I was about to take my siesta when Pak Ripin & Pak Pozi-Kak Ijah arrived. However, even at the door Pak Ripin was more concerned over my situation rather than being excited about his adventure!

They brought more rojak.
Luckily, we were joined by Rahil (after work at Smart Reader) & Azmi (from a meeting at Amcorp!) with Madu Kaula.
So, we got to hear a bit about the Tual trip & Pak Ripin's experiences with *the relatives over there (interspersed with answering his & Azmi's questions about my situation).
*Of course, mostly about Adli !

Adli (leading the Tual pack) wouldn't allow Pak Ripin to buy us good pearls, to ensure that we (or representative from each family) come to Tual, ourselves. Betul-betul taktik mafia!
However, he gave 1 normal good quality pearl :) Actually, I did not get a chance to do anything to the 5 pearls he sent earlier through Pak Pozi- Kak Ijah!!
There were 2 disks of photos (taken during the trip & another on the wedding of Adli's son).
While Pak Ripin rested a bit, Kak Ijah did the necessities of dividing the ole-ole.

That night, Kak Ha & Abang Zul came.
Of course, she wanted me to rest my mouth :)

*********************************
http://www.video4viet.com/watchvideo.html?id=1pjU3PAxTbk&title=Ampar%20Ampar%20Pisang

Ampar ampar pisang
Pisangku balum masak
Masak sabigi dihurung bari-bari
Masak sabigi dihurung bari-bari
Mangga lepak mangga lepok
Patah kayu bengkok
Bengkok dimakan api, apinya canculupan
Patah kayu bengkok
Bengkok dimakan api, apinya canculupan
Jari kaki sintak dahulu akan masak
Ampar ampar pisang
Pisangku balum masak
Masak sabigi dihurung bari-bari
Masak sabigi dihurung bari-bari
Mangga ricak mangga ricak
Patah kayu bengkok
Tanduk sapi tanduk sapi kulibir bawang
Nang mana batis kutung dikitip bidawang

Pencipta / Pengarang Lagu & Lirik : Hamiedan AC

*********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment